What is Venous Leak?
Venous leak is a type of erectile dysfunction where the cavernosal arteries bring blood to the penis during sexual arousal, but they are unable to store the blood in the corpus tissue.
Usually, when a man is sexually aroused, blood vessels and arteries in the penis expand and fill up with blood, causing an erection. Once a man reaches a climax and orgasms, the blood gets released back into the central circulation.
Venous leakage is a problem in holding blood or pre-mature draining of blood, leading to sexual dysfunction.
According to a study published in the National Institutes of Medicine, 80% of men with vasculogenic impotence report failure to store blood in their corpora cavernosa—or the chamber where blood normally gets stored to achieve erections.
Upon further research, it’s been found that symptoms of venous leakage are more often than not the cause of this impotence.
Signs and Symptoms of Venous Leakage
A venous leak can affect men regardless of age and ethnicity.
The common venous leak symptoms include the following:
- Inability to maintain or achieve an erection
- Soft erection unsuitable for sexual penetration
- Position-dependent erectile rigidity
- Shortening of penis length
- Narrowing of penis length
- Soft glans in the penis during erection
Causes of Venous Leak
Men can experience an increased risk of developing venous leaks if they already have health defects or conditions.
Here are some potential causes of a venous leak:
- Psychological stress
- Neuro deficiencies
- The adverse effect of certain drugs
- Chronic diseases like diabetes
- Lower urinary tract symptoms
- Testosterone deficiency
Lifestyle Improvements to Ease Venous Leak Symptoms
Lifestyle modifications can help manage and control symptoms of venous leak, including those caused by chronic diseases like diabetes.
Here are some lifestyle changes you can follow to reverse ED naturally.
- Eating more fruits and vegetables.
- Including protein and fiber at each meal.
- Ingesting the right supplements to get the recommended amount of nutrients.
- Eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day.
- Reducing your intake of refined carbohydrates and sugary foods that can affect your blood sugar levels.
- Getting enough exercise to boost testosterone levels, like weightlifting and cardio.
- Switching from caffeine-based drinks like coffee to water.
- Quitting smoking, illegal drugs, and other vices.
- Losing weight on your own or by a weight management program.
- Drinking alcohol in moderation (CDC recommends under two glasses a day), or not at all.
- Watching your medication, as some may inadvertently contribute to the worsening of symptoms.
If you’re looking for a more personal direction on your physical health, talk to a health specialist to help you develop a health and wellness regimen that works for your body.
Treatments for Venous Leak and ED
Many treatment strategies for erectile dysfunction (ED) also work for a venous leak. These include the following five options.
There are several medical treatments for erectile dysfunction, including:
- Lifestyle changes: Quitting smoking, eating a healthy diet, and exercising regularly can all help improve erectile function.
- Testosterone: Testosterone deficiency is one of several known causes of venous leak. A properly administered Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy program provides the best opportunity to correct venous leakage.
- Linear Shock Wave therapy: This therapy uses sound waves to improve blood flow and nerve function in the penis.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP): This therapy uses your own cells to rejuvenate penile tissue.
- Surgery: In some cases, a penile implant may be indicated.
Consult Phoenix’s Leading Erectile Dysfunction Clinic for a Sexual Health Diagnosis and Treatment Options
Venous leak is a type of erectile dysfunction that can be debilitating to people who wish to experience an active sex life.
If you’re dealing with erectile dysfunction, seeking treatment to sustain a healthy lifestyle is essential, benefiting you and your partner.
Contact Peak Health Group, the experts in treating ED, to schedule an appointment. We are Scottsdale’s leading men’s clinic treating ED using focused linear Shock Wave therapy, PRP therapy, Bioidentical hormone therapy, and much more.